The university strongly believes that ethical research practices require mentoring relationships based on integrity. Our Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) program supports researchers by promoting a culture of responsible research practices through targeted and intentional instruction. Additionally, federal regulations require researchers supported by external funding agencies to complete RCR training. In order to promote a culture of responsible and ethical research, the RCR program offers a three-part policy applicable to all externally funded projects regardless of funding source. The three distinct parts of the poilcy are: (1) completing one RCR training course through CITI; (2) attending at least one in-person RCR lecture/workshop; and (3) face-to-face RCR discussions led by the faculty investigator for the project. See below for specific information and resources regarding each part of the RCR policy.
All researchers supported by an externally funded project, regardless of funding source, must complete one RCR training course through CITI. Completion is required within 60 days from the date in which the researcher receives initial payment from the funding source. CITI offers several RCR modules targeted for specific areas within the research community.
Researchers may select any RCR course available in CITI. The list of available courses include: Biomedical Responsible Conduct of Research, Social and Behavioral Responsible Conduct of Research, Physical Science Responsible Conduct of Research, Humanities Responsible Conduct of Research, Responsible Conduct of Research for Engineers, Responsible Conduct of Research for Administrators.
Instructions for establishing an account are included below this policy.
Illinois Tech offers ethical research lectures and workshops on various RCR topics. All researchers receiving funding from external sources must attend at least one in-person lecture or workshop within 12 calendar months from the date in which the researcher receives initial payment from the funding source. Check the Upcoming Lectures and Workshops section below for upcoming lectures and workshops.
Upcoming Lectures and Workshops
|Faculty RCR Panel||TBD: Fall 2019||TBD|
|Biology Ethics Lecture||TBD: Fall 2019||TBD|
|Ethics Center Workshop Series: Responsible Research||TBD: Spring 2020||TBD|
Part Three (Faculty investigators only)
In order to promote responsible and ethical research practices, faculty who serve as Principal Investigators (PI's) must be proactive in promoting positive mentoring relationships. The PI must conduct at least one face-to-face RCR discussion session within 12 calendar months of accepting an externally funded researcher. The PI for the project team may hold a formal RCR instruction session, or may conduct informal RCR instruction as topics arise during the natural course of research activities. Documentation of RCR instruction activies are submitted to the Office of Research Compliance. Click here for RCR instructional resources
New CITI Registrants
If you do not have an account with CITI, follow these steps to establish one affiliated with the university:
- Enter your personal information. Click Continue To Step 3. NOTE: You must use your university e-mail address (U-ID) so that your training may be matched with your university records.
- Enter your university ID (U-ID) in the User Name column. Establish a Password and Security Question. Click Continue To Step 4.
- Enter "USA" under Country of Residence. Click Continue To Step 5.
- Select all appropriate options under each question prompt. Click Continue To Step 6.
- Enter the required information for Illinois Institute of Technology. Click Continue To Step 7. NOTE: You must enter your institutional e-mail address in the appropriate field. Your training certification may not be matched with your university records if you do not enter your institutional e-mail address.
- Question 3 allows you to select which RCR training course pertains to your research. Select one of the available courses to add RCR training to your profile.
- Select appropriate responses for all additional questions that pertain to your research. When finished, select Complete Registration.
Once you have established an account, you may complete the RCR training course selected in Question 3. Retain a copy of your completion record upon successful completion of each course.
Returning CITI Registrants
If you already have an account, follow the steps below to complete RCR training:
- Login to CITI using your credentials. NOTE: IIT does not retain CITI user credentials. Contact CITI for assistance with forgotten usernames and/or passwords.
- Click Main Menu/My Courses.
- Click Illinois Institute of Technology Courses to expand the list of available courses.
- If you have already added one of the available RCR training courses to your profile, select the course from the list and complete all of the modules. If you do not have any RCR training courses listed, click Add a Course under "My Learner Tools for Illinois Institute of Technology." Select one of the available RCR training course under Question 3, then click Submit. Then, select the course from Illinois Institute of Technology Courses and complete all of the modules.
Retain a copy of your completion record upon successful completion of each course.
If RCR training was completed at another institution, please send a PDF of the training certificate to email@example.com to determine whether it meets RCR requirements.
Students and faculty may reference the resources below to craft RCR instruction to their specific research goals.