eRA has been working on strengthening the security of its modules, web services and websites to the federally mandated ‘https only’ secure connection required for all federal agencies.
The ‘https only’ connection offers “the strongest privacy and integrity protection currently available for public web connections,” the Office of Management and Budget wrote in mandating federal agencies adopt this standard by the end of 2016.
Effective November 30, 2016, all eRA modules, including iEdison, web services and websites will use ‘https only’ secure connections.
What This Means for You
You may need to update your web browser to continue using iEdison:
- With this policy, some browser versions will no longer work.
- Here is a list of browsers and versions that will still work properly following the update:
These three are also the browsers eRA uses to develop and test its modules for browser compatibility, as listed in the eRA Browser Compatibility statement. While lower versions are listed below, we encourage you to upgrade to the versions listed in our browser compatibility statement above to ensure you have an optimal experience when using iEdison.
- Google Chrome® version 18.104.22.168 and later
- Firefox® version 4 and later; with Firefox 17, Mozilla® integrates a list of websites supporting the new protocol
- Internet Explorer® 11 on Windows® 8.1 and Windows® 7 when KB 3058515 or higher is installed (Released on Windows Update in June 2015)
These four are the other browser versions that will work with the security upgrade, but are not included in the in theeRA Browser Compatibility statement:
- Opera® version 12 and later
- Safari® as of OS X Mavericks
- Microsoft® Edge™ and Internet Explorer® 11 on Windows® 10
Manju Subramanya & Joe Schumaker
eRA Communications & Documentation Team
Division of Communications and Outreach
NIH Office of Extramural Research